delivering engagement with technology
Building Resilient Kids: Military Child Initiative Instructional Design
Client: AcceleraRomar / JHU Bloomberg School of Health
Project: A 14-Module Web-Based Training Synchronous Course for Educators on assisting military children with integration to the public school environment. In the face of Military BRAC, this federally-funded project went on to become an online course through the University of Hawaii.
As Instructional Designer/Writer for this 18-month assignment, responsibilities included:
- Extensive writing/rewriting from lengthy documents.
- Chunking and reorganizing content for online presentation.
- Working closely with Subject Matter Expert / Authors to establish “voice” and edit down content, choose animations and maintain schedule
- Storyboarding 10 of 14 modules of content, locating/assigning photos, animations, audio, writing interactions and Quizzes
Challenges met for this project included:
- Presenting a very large amount of text with minimal/dwindling budget, making judicious use of engaging graphics and Reality Check interactions/animations to break up text
- Managing change in the face of changes in project scope
- Maintaining production schedule despite changes in overall project management (long-term project)
Project Samples: view partial storyboard